Sunday, July 15, 2012

July sizzle

Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!  It's been hot and mostly dry in Maryland zone 7a (though we've had a little rain) and this is the time of year I think I have no flowers.  But some of them hang on, loving the heat or fighting through it.

Here's my most dramatic bloom, a hardy hibiscus (Disco Belle, I think) that I grew from seed ages ago.  Unfortunately it is being dramatic in the direction of the neighbors' yard, but at least they can enjoy it.  It really is huge (balloon flower for comparison).

Also a drama queen, this green gladiolus.

Purple coneflowers are reliable in the heat.  They do insist on seeding themselves in inconvenient places, but I don't mind, and I love watching the finches feeding on them in the fall.

Daylilies are still in bloom - here are the red ones I forgot to include last time.  They may be 'Black Knight' but I had several dark reds and they've been moved around, so I don't know.

Calendula, with bee.

This is in the MG demo garden, not my yard, but I'm including it anyway.  It's tithonia 'Aztec Sun.'  Mexican sunflowers are usually orange, but I like this milder yellow as an alternative.  Next year maybe I'll combine the two.

This is a flower cluster from Sophora japonica, Japanese padoga tree.  It's nice to have a tree that flowers this time of year, and it's a pretty tree, but I wouldn't recommend it, because it self-seeds with a vengeance.  We also made the error of planting it next to the driveway, with this result:

Constantly - it's like a snowstorm whenever I drive away.  And they leave a sticky residue.

Hope your gardens are flowering and flourishing!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful green glad - I grew these many years ago. Enjoyed your insect captures, also. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow i love that hibiscus, i haven't seen that variety even in garden shows. And that gladiolus is unique too! But the dehisced petals in the driveway, i don't like too. We have that near ours from the leaves and flowers of tamarind, disgusting sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely hibiscus. My cone flowers are starting to bloom now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That green gladiolus is so cool...I agree about the Coneflowers, I don't mind a few seedlings each spring...watching the birds enjoy the seeds during winter more than compensates for a little weeding :-)

    ReplyDelete